About Traditional Chinese Medicine
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is an ancient holistic system made up of many complementary components. These include Acupuncture, Chinese herbal remedies, Tui Na Massage, Moxibustion, Taichi, Qigong and Chinese nutrition principles. Its fundamental principle is that the body should be in balance and is based on the concept that energy flows through invisible pathways or meridians. Blocked pathways lead to illnesses and physical and emotional disorders.
There are unique principles behind Chinese herbal medicine. As many as 20 different types of herbs, in precise quantities, may go into making up a formula. The different herbs have to be carefully chosen to ensure they work synergistically with each other. Small quantities of herbs are used to eliminate any possibilities of side effects or to counter any medical prescriptions or supplements. All portions are custom-designed for the individual patient.
It is an essential part of TCM practice to monitor not just the overall condition of the patient but also to detect subtle and minor changes that indicate the progress of the healing. The quantities of herbs used or even the number of ingredients in a formula will be constantly changed in keeping with the changing needs of the patient. There is no one-size-fits all in TCM and we take great care to prescribe according to individual needs.
At TX Health Centre, we offer either the dried herbs, from which to make a tea, or tablets, capsules, pellets, powders and ointments. Some of our patients are willing to take the dried herbs and boil them to make a concentrated tea. We understand that our patients have busy lives and we frequently offer herbal remedies in a concentrated powder form which is just added to hot water and stirred. On the average, herbs are to be taken twice a day, but some may require more frequent intake.
Other TCM therapies include:
What TCM & Chinese Herbs Treat
(This is by no means a complete list. Feel free to ask us about any conditions you may have.)
- Acute & Chronic Pain
- Headache & Migraine
- Muscles, Joints Pain, Numbness & Arthritis
- Neck, Shoulder, Back Pain & Sciatica
- Car & Sports Injuries
- Rehabilitation after Stroke, Accident and Surgery Procedures
- Skin Problems
- Allergies, Sinusitis & Asthma
- PMS, Menstrual Problems, Menopause & Infertility
- Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, Emotional Problems
- Chronic Fatigue, Low Energy & Fibromyalgia
- Chronic Diarrhea, Constipation, Indigestion & Peptic Ulcers, Stomach Disorders
- Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol
- Adjunctive Cancer Care, Side Effects of Chemotherapy & Radiation
- Impotence & Sexual dysfunction
- Addictions to Alcohol, Nicotine or Drugs
- Weight Loss, Cellulite Reduction